Thursday, March 5, 2009

Draper Temple Youth Celebration


I am very excited and a little overwhelmed with my new calling.  I am our stakes choreographer for the Draper Temple Youth Celebration.  Our stake has been assigned a Native American dance number.  Anyone who has some knowledge or expertise in this area is very welcome to share it with me.  I've done a little bit of research online and have found some great material, but I want to learn so much more.  
The theme of the celebration is "Come up to the Mountain of the Lord".  The main purpose of the Youth Celebration is to have the youth feel a special connection with the temple.  I think the young women in my ward already feel that connection.  We had a cleaning assignment in the temple last Friday night, and they've never been happier to clean (either have I).  Eli and I were the first ones there and we were told to go wait for the others in the baptistry chapel.  He and I were the only ones there for about 10 minutes, and even though it's not been dedicated yet it was a really special moment with just the two of us.  That will never happen again.  I know I already feel a connection with this temple because of this calling and the opportunities to volunteer at the open house.  I'm excited to help the youth gain the same special experiences.  This is really a once in a lifetime opportunity for them and I'm thrilled to be a part of it.  
Another purpose is to help the youth gain an understanding and respect for the Native American cultural - and I'm the one who is supposed to provide that.  So if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.  I have a short amount of time to prepare so I just have to jump in with both feet and pray that I have an open heart and mind to follow the Lord's inspiration.  

5 comments:

Mike said...

Congrats on the calling - you'll do great! Did you see Nicky has the same calling in her stake?

Mike said...

this is really sara...

Jan said...

Wow, Candace, what a neat calling!! Quingie's family is from the four corners area and did a lot with the native americans down there. I'm sure she'll be in attendance :)

The Berg's said...

Good Luck

Young family said...

Wow! Good luck with that.. It will really be neat to be part of something like that... You and Eli are such a cute couple... I love all of your wedding picts...