Monday, March 16, 2009

Indian Hoop Dance

I've been able to meet with some Native Americans in our community in preparation for this "American Indian" dance number.  The young man in this video is Jake Fields.  He is 18 but his family says he's been dancing for 19 years because his mom danced a lot with him in the womb.  He has been doing the hoop dance since he was 4.  He will be attending the U of U next year on a ballet scholarship.  He is extremely talented, and he has offered to teach some of our young men how to hoop dance and he'll be performing with them!!  This has been so much fun so far to meet all these people and to delve into their culture.

5 comments:

Jan said...

How awesome that you found someone to help with the native american dances! I would have had no idea where to start, Candace! The hoop dance he did was amazing, too - I would have been falling down on the floor writhing in my own hoop pain, lol.

Are you going to post when this all is going to be? Like, is it right before the dedication at the temple site? I would like to come and I bet my mom and a few of my sisters would, too. Let me know!

Becca and Brian said...

That is amazing. I don't think I could ever do what he did with those hoops. I would like to see him do ballet I'm sure he is great!

Colb, Sar and Cici said...

I think I just found my favorite blog! Why is it that I can see Eli doing that very very well...?

Draper's said...

Candace- what an awesome experience. Wow that guy sounds pretty incredible. I am excited to hear how the big night turns out!!!

Leah said...

Watching that dance reminds me of Elementary school when we had hoop dancers come. Do you remember that? Anyways, Good luck!!!