It's finally here! After months of practice with our youth they get to perform their Native American dance at the Conference Center on Friday May 29th at 8:00pm. The Conference Center will be filled with the youth and their parents so unfortunately there's not an opportunity for tickets. However, it's being broadcast throughout North America at all LDS Stake Centers at 8pm MST. If you would like to see it and for some reason your stake isn't broadcasting it you are welcome to come to our Stake Center in Sandy at 8485 S 1000 E.
A little bit on the dance: We used the theme of hoops, eagles and the sky. We choose these because Native Americans believe that eagles fly closest to the Creator and they carry the prayers of the people on their wings up to Creator. The eagle also embodies strength, courage, and wisdom. The eagle shows that the people have the ability to develop the same qualities. The eagle with his eagle eyes sees things most like the creator sees them. The sky is referred to as Father Sky, it is the spiritual element where the Creator resides. We also have hoop dancers and the hoop symbolizes eternity. The dancers use it to honor the creations of mother earth. We found all of these beliefs to be very fitting for what we were trying to accomplish with our youth.
This has been a journey for sure. I've learned a lot about Native Americans and have gained a new respect for their cultural and their arts.
Now we just pray that it all goes well!!



3 comments:
haha! NOPE! Not prego... I wish though! We have been trying for a while but NOTHING is happening! I won't be shocked if I get knocked up right when we get out there... thats just my luck! haha How are you guys?! Its been a really long time!!!
I am excited for you!! I hope my stake center is broadcasting it. It sounds like it will be amazing!!
Candace's dance was really cool. The native american boy who performed with the rings was really cool. I'm astonished that you were able to get all of those kids together in formation. It was great! Thanks for getting me tickets.
Post a Comment