Sunday, August 14, 2011

Owen's First Plane Ride/Alcatraz/Pier 39

We went to San Francisco, CA for our summer vacation and stayed with my cute cousin Alex and her family. Thank you so much for letting us stay with you, we had a great time!

Owen's first plane ride!! He did very well considering our planes were delayed an hour both ways.
Keeping a 17 month old baby occupied in the airport for a couple of hours requires a lot of investigating. Owen was pretty sure this fancy machine had something fun for him because we checked it out a lot.
This nice woman took her dog out so Owen could say hi and pet him.
We did a lot of plane watching!
We're not sure, but this guy sure looked a lot like Will Ferrell. Eli asked him if he was and he glanced down and then said no.... so I guess you can decide for yourself.

Our first adventure in San Franciso was to Alcatraz and Pier 39. After forgetting the prepaid tickets to Alcatraz and running at full speed over a mile to catch our ferry it turned out to be a really good time. We were lucky to have such a clear day, I guess you rarely get such a great view of the city.

On the ferry approaching Alcatraz.
That's the Golden Gate Bridge behind us.


It was a tad bit windy on the front of the ferry.


The showers...
Some people think Alcatraz is haunted. I'm not sure about that, but I did get this picture of Owen trying to strangle Eli.


The solitary confinement cell feels a little creepy.
The place was packed but for a few moments it was just us and Owen copped a squat in front of this jail cell. An elderly couple walked by and chuckled at how cute that looked and snapped a pic. Then I snapped a pic only to turn around and see a group of Asian tourists taking a picture of Owen as well.
So I took a picture of them, and then they took a picture of me.




Such a beautiful day, but very windy!

Eli wanted his picture on the row that the three infamous inmates escaped from.
I wanted my picture on the row that all the men had to walk down naked.
The Gardens were absolutely beautiful and the best part is the wind didn't blow as hard on that side of the island.


Cute baby seagulls were everywhere along with several other kinds of birds.

Leaving Alcatraz, our beautiful clear day lasted.

Pier 39


2 comments:

Eli McQueen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eli McQueen said...

It was a lot of fun.......maybe I should smile more?
I look like one of the inmates :)
No actually, I probably knew how crappy the drive home was going to be.