Eli and I were married in 2006 and it was back then on a Sunday in church that we made a list of names for our future children. Owen and Everett were both on that list.
Eli had met my Great Uncle Owen and they got along well because they're both hunters and nice guys in general. We agreed that we both liked the name and my Great Uncle Owen, so that was the first name on our list. While writing thank you cards for wedding gifts I wrote in Uncle Owen's that I wanted to name my first son after him.
Now 2 1/2 years later the "Owens" got to meet. We took a ride up Fairview Canyon where Uncle Owen and his Wife Myrna were camped for a family reunion. I had told my little Owen that he was going to meet an old Cowboy named Owen. When we pulled up to the campsite I said "Look Owen there's Cowboy Owen your Great Great Uncle!" and he said "Oh! He's my best friend!" We let Owen out of the car and he walked right up to Uncle Owen who picked him up and gave him a hug. There was no shyness, no hesitancy, they were immediate pals and stayed that way for the entire visit. It was the sweetest thing.
Then Uncle Owen surprised us all when he gave my little Owen a gift.
My Grandpa Wright served in WWII and he had a German Dagger which he had given to my Uncle Owen. None of us know the story behind it, how he acquired it or anything else, but the fact that it came from my Grandpa makes it special. He passed away when I was five so the only memories I have of him are ones in pictures/recordings. Great Uncle Owen passed it on to my little Owen. It was a very thoughtful gift and a special moment. Although my little Owen doesn't comprehend now how special it is, he will when he's older. And it will always be a special reminder of who he is named after and of his Great Grandpa Wright.
![]() |
| Owen Tucker & Owen McQueen June 2012 |
![]() |
| Judy, Candace holding 2 week old Everett, Uncle Owen holding Owen who is holding the German Dagger Fairview Canyon 212 |





3 comments:
Cute story! I love that Owen said they were best friends! Adorable.
wow. lucky owen... Drew has wondered where that dagger went to for years. It was something he has talked about and has always wanted of Gpa Wright's. Now we know where it was and who has it... Lucky Owen-
What a neat memento to have. Duh, I didn't realize he was named after Great Uncle Owen. That's so great that they bonded even before they met.
Post a Comment