Half way through my pregnancy with Everett a little thought that had always been tucked away in the back of my mind exploded. I wanted this to be an unmedicated birth. So I talked to everyone I knew about their natural birth experiences and read a few books. I felt prepared going into it but there was still the anxiety of when, where and how was it all going to happen.
At my 39 week appointment on June 7th the Dr. asked if I wanted her to strip my membranes. I said "sure, why not" without giving it too much thought. I just knew that I didn't want to be induced so whatever increased my chances of going on my own wouldn't hurt. Little did I expect to go into labor that night.
Around 10pm we were putting Owen to bed (yes he's a night owl). I had been feeling some contractions but nothing that really caught my attention. Only when Owen asked me to lie down on his floor with a blanket and pillow until he fell asleep did I realize I was the slightest bit uncomfortable, but I shrugged it off as being 39 weeks pregnant and trying to sleep on the hard floor.
Once Owen was asleep I snuck out and made myself some ice cream with hot fudge and caramel. I remember debating whether I should really being eating it so late at night, but it sounded too good, so I did. We watched TV for a while and went to sleep around 11pm.
I woke up about a half an hour later because I was to uncomfortable to sleep. I decided that I should probably get the camera out and ready just in case. Then I started the bath. I laid in the tub for a while and things we're getting more uncomfortable. After peeing in my bathwater twice because the urge was just too great I got out and decided to wake up Eli. By now it was 2am. I told Eli to time my contractions. They were coming every 2 minutes. I said "that can't be right" while I was leaning on the bed in pain.
I decided we should probably call my Mom to come over. We did and found out she was at the cabin. She immediately started home leaving my Dad there stranded without a vehicle. If you know my Dad well, you know he is terrified to be places alone, so this was a pretty big deal for him. Oddly enough my Dad had a dream a few nights before that he had to ride the motorcycle home from the cabin. :)
Next we called my sister Carrie. She didn't answer the first time around and has a lovely voice mail with me in the background yelling. :) She answered the second time and made it to our house in 20 minutes.
In the meanwhile, I was trying to pack my hospital bag through the contractions. I finally had to give up and go sit on the toilet because there was quite a bit of blood coming out. I just kept yelling Ahhhhhh. My sister came in as Eli was trying to get me dressed in a night gown. Eli asked if this is what I wanted to wear and I yelled YES! He calmly replied "Don't you think we should zip it up?" I yelled "YES!" Then I started telling him, "I can't do this! I don't want to do this! Why did I ever want to do this!" In my mind I was being a total wuss and I thought I'd have to endure these pains all night long at the hospital until I was ready to deliver. Little did I know just how far along I was.
Eli helped me into the car around 2:30am where I immediately sat backwards on the seat just so I had something to hold onto. Eli said "Is that how you're going to ride?" I yelled "YES!" he turned back to smile at my sister like okay, whatever she's crazy. We got down the road a ways and I finally sat like a normal person and Eli asked if I'd like to say a prayer. So I did... unfortunately I had to pause just once during the prayer to yell "SH**". Eli found that to be humorous too, he made a note of it in his journal. Eli was being a good labor coach, reminding me of all the ways to relax. I listened and tried to relax but mostly just kept yelling. I was surprised I reacted this way, I thought I would be much less vocal because that's more my demeanor.
We arrived at the hospital at 2:45am just as I was having the urge to push in the car. Eli ran in and got me a wheel chair then left me sitting in it while he parked the car. I told him to just leave it there but he wasn't so sure that was a good idea. It only took a second but felt like forever to me. He then wheeled me in and they whisked me to the delivery room and announced that I was fully dilated. Relief swept over me for a moment. I had done it! I went through transition at home. The hardest part where all mothers say "I can't do it". I realized I had done it! I wasn't a total wuss! I was going to get the birth I wanted.
The next thing I know is they're telling me to push and all of the sudden an explosion of water shoots across the room. The whole room kind of went silent and I asked "Did you guys do that?" They said "no you did that". The nurses all laughed a little because the resident Dr. barely dodged my water breaking and exploding right in her face. Then I started to feel the burning and I kept yelling "It hurts!" At one point I had the front of Eli's shirt in a tight grip and I was pulling him toward me. A nurse said "Candace, look at me... let go of your husbands shirt, grab your knees and PUSH!" I obeyed and very shortly after I felt little Everett slide out of my body. He was delivered at 3:11am on June 8th 2012. He gave out one little high pitched cry and then they laid him on me and he was wide eyed and content. They took him from me a few minutes later to weigh and measure him... 6 lbs. 2 oz and 18.5 inches. Eli held him for a few minutes then they gave him back to me and he started to nurse. It was a thrilling experience! I couldn't believe I had done it! It definitely hurt but I was so glad I accomplished it after getting so prepared for it. I just couldn't believe I was holding this beautiful baby boy in my arms after such a whirlwind of events.
I was looking forward to the nice recovery everyone had talked about that follows a natural birth but unfortunately that didn't come. My blood pressure sky rocketed after birth and I was placed on a drug called magnesium. For the next 24 hours I felt like total crap. I was lethargic, nausea, had a horrible headache and could really just barely function. I couldn't open my eyes for more than a few seconds. I had Eli feed me dinner because I was smacking myself in the face a lot because the drug also acts like a muscle relaxer to avoid seizures as well as lowers your blood pressure. It was really a 24 hour period that I never wish to repeat. I then knew why the Dr. and all the nurses were apologizing for me having to be on it.
I felt a little ripped off not getting the wonderful fast recovery I'd heard so much about. However, I couldn't be happier about the fast and unmedicated labor and delivery! Also, I think Everett was meant to come on June 8th because he is the 8th grand baby for both of our parents and I had a strange dream a few nights before about all these strange looking beasts but there were 8 of each of them. Not to mention my Dad's dream about being stranded at the cabin. Fortunately he didn't have to ride the motorcycle home, some friends brought him back.
PICKLE!
12 years ago



4 comments:
Congrats Cadace! Sounds like you made it just in time to the hospital. I was on mag with my first, and yes it does totally suck. Glad everything else went well. Enjoy your boys!
BIG CONGRATS on making it! So glad you were able to experience the way you wanted - but sorry to hear about the mag. That's no fun. Hopefully once that ran through, you were feeling ok. Nice job on not delivering in the car. That was always Mike's biggest fear with me. :)
I could NOT stop laughing while reading that birth story!! I loved it! The fact that you kept yelling YES! to Eli and swearing during the prayer, so funny!! I remember you debating the 'natural' delivery, I'm glad you experienced it! I never planned on experiencing that pain, but I'm glad I have. I remember grabbing brian's arm and yelling "do something! tell them to DO something to help me!!!" haaaahaaa!!
Candace Merandace!! I LOVE this story. I was laughing the whole time!! Love it!!
Post a Comment